Monday, February 27, 2012

An Affair with the Ocean

My husband is having an affair....

With the ocean, and he is dragging me into it. 

Austin completely loves the ocean. He knows anything and everything there is to know about the ocean. He used to work at an aquarium store selling fish and coral. Scuba diving has been a goal of his since he was little. So of course being the persistent person he is we signed up for classes! :) I was pretty much hyperventilating when I saw the pool we were going to be learning in. I am a big baby when it comes to trying things new. I am all up for it, don't get me wrong, but it scares me to death! In the end I absolutely love it. So this friday will be our first official day getting in the water and learning to scuba dive. We have been taking our assigned courses online for the past week, there are a lot of things that you need to know that I would have never thought. As the days get closer I am slowly getting more and more excited and less and less nervous. At the end of our lessons we will be doing our open dive at the crater in Heber. A 94 degree pool of water...I'm definitely ok with that. We should get some fun footage underwater with our GoPro!! Hopefully we find more time to dive after we are certified before we leave for our cruise in June! :) We have been researching dive spots around the world that are supposed to be amazing so we will be planning to hit some of those spots in the next few years. Two of the dives we have talked about really stuck out to me though. The first one is off the coast of Kona, Hawaii. It is a night dive with manta rays while they are feeding.  It will be a little scary diving with creatures this big! Definitely a once in a lifetime experience!


I think the dive that I am most freaking out excited/scared for is a dive off the coast of Nassau, Bahamas. Basically the dive master places a cage of meat that is attached 15 feet below the boat, while the divers sit on the ocean floor watching sharks come in from all around and participate in a feeding frenzy. I think this picture is a pretty good depiction of what we will be doing....haha yeah just a little nervous for it.


We sure have some fun plans in mind for the next few years. Lots of diving trips, a trip to Sao Paulo, Brazil to see the World Cup, Playa del Carmen, Mexico, a cruise through the Panama Canal, a trip down the Amazon river on a live aboard, and this is just the beginning!! :)

Can't wait to go on years of adventures with my best friend and love of my life :)

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, we went snorkeling by the Captain Cook Monument in Kona and it was beautiful. We saw a manta ray from the boat on the way back. It was cool. If you go in Feb. it is whale season so you may see some. Have fun and good luck!

    ReplyDelete