Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes: SHARK!!!!

Back in March Austin and I got scuba certified! We knew we would be going on this cruise and thought it would be a perfect opportunity to start up our new hobby. It was definitely a different experience than the crater in Heber. 10 feet of visibility and lots and lots of rock to look at....very fun ;) haha It was actually really cool to learn to scuba there in a nice warm 92 degree pool of water.  So Austin shows me one day the dive we will be doing. The shark arena. Um....WHAT?! I wasn't too sure about this, but I calmed down when I assured myself that they probably wouldn't even swim that close to me. I put it in the back of my mind until two weeks before we left Austin and I went back to the crater to do a couple more times to make sure we remembered everything we learned. We started talked about the shark dive and Austin started mentioning how nervous he was...if he was nervous then I was bound to um I don't know....DIE!!!


The day came when the ship ported in Nassau, I put my big girl pants and stepped on the bus to take us to those lovely sharks. It was gorgeous water, nice and clear enough for me to see all the sharks swimming below when we stopped...hahahaha I just laughed at myself and couldn't believe my wonderful, sweet, husband had talked me into this. We got all geared up and jumped in!! It was AMAZING!!! As soon as I got in the water I was fine. I don't know what I was worrying about! We saw so many cool things!! We were lucky enough to get it on camera with Austins GoPro! I made a little video to sum up our whole experience! And when I say little I mean little compared to the almost 2 hours of footage we got!


Keep your eye out for a lobster, lion fish and a flounder we found in the sand! And of course....sharks!


Just a little about the dives. Our first dive was a reef dive where we dived along the barrier reef. It was over 6,000 feet deep...crazy! We went about 80 feet before we got lost in the dark abyss haha! Lots of neat coral and fish to see! We then got ready for our second dive. This was the shark arena. We went down where one of the dive guides positioned everyone in a semi-circle. Another dive guide then brought in the chum with all the sharks following him. He went around the circle stopping in front of everyone so we could get picture and video. So in the video you will notice two people with cameras taking pictures and video of everything going on. And after looking at the pictures we saw how much was going on behind us that we couldn't see. They told us we couldn't move because sudden movements might make the shark think we are food...a little intimidating! And if a shark bumped into us we couldn't catch ourselves from falling...just let yourself fall! Luckily neither of us fell over but we sure did get hit with those sharks, almost took my mask off haha! The camera is at Austins chest level so most of the sharks are actually swimming at eye level with us, running right into our heads... :) It was pretty darn cool :)


Getting to Nassau, waiting for the bus!


Heading out....


Stuart Cove!
After the dive! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment